India is now the co-chair of Asia Protected Areas Partnership

India is now the co-chair of the IUCN-supported Asia Protected Areas Partnership (APAP) for 3 years till November 2023 after replacing South Korea. Now India is responsible to assist and help other Asian countries in managing the protected areas.

The APAP is chaired by IUCN ( International Union for Conservation of Nature) Asia. It is co-chaired by the member countries of APAP on a rotational basis.

Read more

Protected Areas| What is the difference between Biosphere Reserve and National Park

Protected areas are the areas that require protection because of their natural, ecological or cultural values. The following kinds of protected areas designated by IUCN are in India:

National parks, Wildlife sanctuaries, Biosphere reserves, Reserved and protected forests, Community reserves, Private protected areas

Read more

The World’s Biggest Floating Solar Power Plant is going to build in India

The World’s largest Floating solar energy project is going to construct at the Omkareshwar dam on the Narmada river in Madhya Pradesh by 2023. 

Features

It is a 600 MW plant utilizing solar energy.

The panels can adjust their position automatically when the water level of the dam is low.

It will start generating power by 2022-23.

The floating solar plant is going to be designed in such a way as to withstand strong waves and floods while continue to generate solar power at the same time.

Read more

Rewa, the Largest Solar Power Plant in India| UPSC

 It is the first renewable energy project to supply a customer outside the state, i.e. Delhi Metro, which will get 24% of energy from the project and the remaining 76% being supplied to the state of Madhya Pradesh.

It is India’s first solar project to get funding from the Clean Technology Fund (CTF), which is available at the rate of 0.25%  for a 40-year period from the World Bank. The CTF promotes the low carbon technologies by financing them to shift there.

This project of Rewa will reduce carbon emission to approx. 15 lakh tons of CO2 per year.

It is the first solar project in India to break the “grid parity barrier”.

Read more

United Nations decade on Ecosystem Restoration

United Nations decade on Ecosystem Restoration 2021-2030 is launched on World Environment Day on 5th June 2021. Since due to human activities, the degradation of many ecosystems such as landscapes, lakes, oceans, etc is occurring. Ecosystem Restoration is the reversing of this degradation to restore such levels to meet the needs of the society. So it is the restoring of the best possible functionality of the ecosystem.

Read more

Why are sea turtles endangered? |Leatherback, Olive Ridley Turtle| UPSC

Due to development projects in Andamans and Nikobar islands to increase tourism and port development in it, nesting sites of turtles have been adversely affected. So Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate change (MoEFCC) has started a National Marine Turtle Action Plan on Feb,2021.

Read more